These Old Buildings | 5504 York Rd.

These Old Buildings | 5504 York Rd.

A Series of Stories About the School Buildings in Which We Live, Work, and Play


2800 Brendan Ave.

Tunbridge opened in the fall of 2010 for students in Pre-K to 3rd grade. St. Mary of the Assumption’s roots in the Govans neighborhood of Baltimore City go much deeper. The church itself opened in 1850 as the only church in North Baltimore at the time. In September of 1874, the parish opened St. Mary of the Assumption School located on Homeland Ave., which was run by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. This Catholic school flourished for over a century. As enrollments continued to climb in the early 1900s, the school needed more space. In the fall of 1952, a new school building and convent were completed at what is now 5504 York Rd. These buildings sit just north of the St. Mary of the Assumption church and rectory.


St. Mary of the Assumption School continued to thrive for many years in its new space. After 135 years of educating children, St. Mary of the Assumption School closed its doors in May of 2009 due to declining enrollment. Ms. Phelan, the principle of St. Mary of the Assumption School at the time of the closure is quoted in the Archdiocese of Baltimore Catholic Review as saying, “God closes one door, and opens windows.”


Tunbridge opened its doors— and windows— for the first time to about 200 students on August 30, 2010, after renovating the main office and cafeteria, and branding the building in orange, yellow, and green. The school added a grade each year until we became fully grown to 8th grade. In 2014, Tunbridge renovated the convent, converting this residence into classrooms, community space, and a fitness room for our middle schoolers. Thus, in a single place, a single space, the old and the new, the past and the future, mingle as one.

Main Calendar


ABI Governing Board Meeting

6:00 PM - 7:30 PM

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.